Jack-O-Lantern (Omphalotus olivascens)
Jack-O-Lantern Mushrooms are so named because of their large size and orange color. They appear after the rains of Fall and Winter begin and often grow at the bases of oak trunks in the San Dieguito River Park. Sometimes, if a fresh specimen is picked and placed in a dark room, a faint greenish bioluminescence will become apparent. This may also have contributed to the common name of this mushroom! Jack-O-Lanterns are toxic and cause severe gastrointestinal upset if eaten.
Text and Photo by Robyn Waayers. Robyn has been a resident of San Diego County since 1977, and is a biology instructor at Palomar, Miramar and Southwestern Colleges, and is also a freelance nature photographer. Contact information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Back to Top of Page.