shawii the Kumeyaay Way
1. Gather ripe acorns and let them dry in the sun
for a few days. Remove caps and crack the acorns open to remove
2. Crush acorns with a pestle in a mortar.
3. Separate out the coarser meal. Regrind until the acorn meal
is the consistency of cake flour.
4. Acorn meal us high in tannic acid, which has a very bitter
taste. To remove the tannic acid, put the acorn meal in a colander or
loosely woven basket. Pour warm water over the meal until the water
the bottom is clear. If you eat acorn meal without removing the tannic
the acorn meal will taste bad and will give you a stomachache!
5. To prepare the shawii, take some of the meal and put it in
a cooking pot. Add some water until it is the consistency of oatmeal.
Cook over a low heat, constantly stirring until heated through.
6. Spoon into a bowl and eat! You can add fruit if you like.