The San Dieguito River Park was created to help preserve and protect the fragile resource of natural open space. The following rules were established to provide the opportunity for recreation that does not interfere with wildlife or people’s enjoyment of the Park’s natural resources.
There are trails within the River Park that are managed by other agencies, and different rules may apply. Please see Trail Maps for information and restrictions about a specific trail.
The Trails Management Plan and Standards can be found here.
Trail Etiquette: Share and Be Aware
For your safety and the preservation of sensitive habitat…
- Please stay on designated trails and obey posted information.
- Night time trail use is prohibited.
- Pets are welcomed and must be leashed at all times. Owners must clean up after their pets.
- Put trash in proper receptacles.
- Open fires and smoking are strictly prohibited.
- Overnight camping is prohibited. Overnight parking is not permitted in staging areas.
- Possession of firearms or other weapons is prohibited.
- Motorized vehicles, except for service or emergency vehicles, are not allowed on trails. (Click here to read the Mobility Policy, which describes rules about power-driven mobility devices and trails that can accommodate them.)
- Off-road vehicles are not permitted.
- Please help protect the special nature of the River Valley. The collection of plant, animal, or cultural specimens is strictly prohibited.
- Defacement is prohibited. All trail markers, fences, signs, and resources are protected.
- Fishing and boating are permitted at Hodges Reservoir February-October on Wednesdays, Saturdays, and Sundays (except the third Wednesday of every month) and at Sutherland Reservoir March-September on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays (except the third Friday of every month). Contact the City of San Diego Reservoirs and Recreation Program at (619) 465-3474 or visit their website for more information. Fishing is also permitted between the railroad tracks and Jimmy Durante Blvd. on the south side of the San Dieguito River and at the river mouth west of Camino Del Mar at the San Dieguito Lagoon. View the City of Del Mar ordinance here.
NO FISHING anywhere else in the park.
Please remember that a large number of people utilize the trails of the San Dieguito River Park. Our ability to maintain a healthy natural environment will ensure our continued access to natural areas in the future.
Designated parking areas are available to provide access to many of our trails at various points throughout the park. Use the interactive San Dieguito River Park Map to get directions by clicking on the P symbols. Please note the hours that they are open. Overnight parking is not permitted in our staging areas. Vehicles left overnight may be subject to towing at the owner’s expense.
Open: Daily at 6 AM
Close: 6 PM (October 1 – March 31)
7:30 PM (April 1 – September 30)